If the application has high friction loads at startup, the system can apply a very torque initially and then continue with the pre-configured ramp up.
Soft starters can detect and report system faults, so that they can prevent improper starting or stop the motor when required. There are various types of protection:
- motor: thermal protection, PTC protection, locked rotor, current asymmetry, startup time-out, minimum torque and motor not connected,
- power supply: no power supply, no phase, wrong sequence phase and out-of-range frequency,
- additional power supply; voltage too low or mini power-outage longer than the allowed one,
- soft starter: overtemperature, overcurrent, SCR fault, bypass switch fault, temperature sensor fault and fan fault.
The presence of a large display makes it possible to display the main electrical parameters for the purposes of system diagnostics, including: current, voltage, torque, power, power factor, motor temperature and starter temperature.
DIAGNOSTICS AND MAINTENANCE
It is very important to have counters to count the number of startups and the hours of motor operation. Alarm thresholds can be set.
The display shows the temperature of the motor and the soft starter’s thyristors, while the soft starter’s status is displayed by a bar: start, bypass, stop, alarm and so on.
If it is essential to start the motor, regardless of the potential for malfunction, all protections and alarms can be inhibited (including the fire system, for instance).
The most recent versions of LOVATO Electric soft starters are equipped with:
On power-up, the soft starter launches a wizard to simplify setup. Users can configure the device in 4 simple steps:
- nominal motor current
- type of application
- type of duty (normal, heavy, light) The user can customise these settings with a user friendly interface available in 6 languages.
- NFC (Near Field Communication) and optical port.
Once these settings have been made, the soft starter automatically adjusts its operating parameters accordingly.
6 icons on the display indicates the application, centrifugal pump, fire system pump, belt conveyor, fan, generic mixer.
NFC (Near Field Communication) and optical port
Remote control and monitoring
An optional serial communications card is available for the soft starter. This allows the device to be controlled with the LOVATO Xpress or Synergy software, and to connect to supervision/automation systems or straightforward operator panels.
XPRESS remote configuration and control software